Hugo 2 is a powerful DAC and headphone amp that builds on the ground-breaking original. Designed for both home and mobile use, Hugo 2 transforms headphones and audio systems’ sound quality with its cutting-edge proprietary DAC technology.
In 2014, we introduced Hugo, a revolutionary portable DAC and headphone amp that became a landmark product in the audio landscape. Advances in digital technology, including the latest FPGAs and WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filters, have enabled us to introduce a next-generation version, Hugo 2, featuring flexible new features, plus next-generation technical and sonic performance.
Hugo 2 can be used both at home and on-the-go, either with headphones or within a conventional audio system. Its line-level output and full-function remote control adds real flexibility in full-size and desktop systems.
The device offers four digital inputs (optical, coaxial and HD USB) plus extended-range Bluetooth, with high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz and up to DSD512 (Octa DSD), via its HD USB input. Analogue outputs include 2x RCA, plus 3.5mm and 6.35mm headphone outputs.
A four-function switch filter offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control. For headphone-listening, Hugo 2 retains the popular digital crossfeed function of the original and offers three operation modes. The system duplicates the effect of listening to speakers and is based on advanced binaural audio research.
Hugo 2 features four spherical control buttons, which illuminate with colour-coding information and control power, input, filtering, plus the unit’s crossfeed functions.
Battery playing time is around seven hours and two modes of automatic charging are included using the dedicated Micro USB charging port; an indicator shows charging and battery-charge status.
- Technical Specifications
Colour Black Warranty 3 years (local) Product Weight (g) 450 Availability Available Product Type Amplifier (Headphone), DAC (Digital-Analog Converter), Portable Amplifier & DAC Style/Type Portable Features Bluetooth, DSD, High-Res Audio Certified, Line-in, Line-out, Optical Input Sampling / Bitrate Up to 32bit/768kHz Frequency Response (Hz) 20Hz – 20kHz +/- 0.2dB Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) 126dB ‘A’ Weighted Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) <0.0001% 1kHz 3v RMS 300Ω Output Power 94mW 300Ω Battery Life (hrs) In excess of seven (7) hours Input Connectivity 3.5mm stereo, Coaxial, micro-USB, Optical Output Connectivity 3.5mm Stereo, 6.35mm Stereo, RCA / Phono Additional Tech Specs
- Chipset: Chord Electronics custom coded Xilinx Artix 7 (XC7A15T) FPGA
- Tap-length: 49,152<
- Pulse array: 10 element pulse array design
- Output stage: Class A
- Output impedance: 0.025Ω
- THD: <0.0001% 1kHz 3v RMS 300Ω
- THD and noise at 3v RMS: 120dB at 1kHz 300ohms ‘A’ wighted (reference 5.3v)
- Noise 2.6 uV ‘A’ weighted: No measurable noise floor modulation
- Channel separation: 135dB at 1kHz 300Ω
- Power output @ 1kHz 1% THD:
- 94mW 300Ω
- 740mW 33Ω
- 1050mW 8Ω
- Dimensions: 130mm (L) x 100mm (W) x 21mm (H)
- Boxed Dimensions: 220mm (L) x 122mm (W) x 85mm (H)
- Materials: Clamshell precision machined aluminium casing with polycarbonate buttons, acrylic signal window, and glass viewing portal.
- Battery: 2x Rechargeable custom Enix Energies 3.7v 9.6Wh Li-ion (lithium-ion (2600mAh) batteries*
- Tap length filter: 49,152 – 10 element Pulse Array design
- Charging: Nominal four (4) hours via Micro USB at 1.8amps (fast charge) – Nominal eight (8) hours at 1amp (slow charge)
- Connectivity (input): Micro USB (White): 44.1kHz – 768kHz – 16bit – 32bit
- Coax via 3.5mm Jack (Red): 44.1kHz – 768kHz – 16bit – 32bit
- Optical (Green): 44.1kHz – 192kHz – 16bit – 24bit
- Connectivity (input wireless): Bluetooth (Apt X) (Blue): 44.1kHz – 48kHz – 16bit
- Connectivity (output): 1x ¼” jack headphone output
- 1x 3.5mm jack headphone output
- 1x stereo (L & R) RCA output
- PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 717.6kHz, and 768kHz.
- DSD support: Native playback supported. DSD64 (Single) to DSD512 (Octa-DSD)
- Volume control: Digital, activated in 1dB increments. Last known state saved upon shutdown, with exception of line-level mode
- Line-level mode: Activated via dual press of middle ‘Source’ and ‘Crossfeed’ buttons. Line level = 3v via all outputs. Reset by power cycle
- Power saving mode: Auto-shutdown after ten minutes of input inactivity
- Driver support: Driverless with Mac OS X and Linux, driver required for Windows OS
- User Reviews